A meeting of the brethren residing in Douglas Water district was held on the 12th October 1900, when the disadvantages of attending the lodges at either Lanark or Douglas was discussed. It was agreed that if a suitable venue could be secured, the Office Bearers of Old St John No. 21 and St Brides No. 118 should be approached and, if they approved, a petition should be prepared for presentation to Grand Lodge praying that a charter should be granted to form a new lodge in the district.
A suitable venue was secured at Anstruther Place in Douglas Water, and a petition was prepared and forwarded to Grand Lodge with signatures from the Office Bearers of the aforementioned lodges. The name of the proposed Lodge was given as “Hozier” Douglas Water.
Within the newly proposed lodge room, at the co-op buildings in Douglas Water on the 25th January 1901, fourteen brethren met to discuss the colours of the lodge; it was agreed that they would be blue, red and gold. The following month a charter was granted by Grand Lodge. At the time of the charter being granted, The RWM was Bro. John Louden who went on to serve as Master on no fewer than seven occassions. The chair on which the master sits was given to the lodge after it was found in a farmhouse. The chair had been used by The Order of Gardeners who held their meetings in Douglas.
The Grand Master Mason who presented the charter was The Hon. James Hozier MP, after whom the lodge was named. The Hon. James Hozier MP served in office for Provincial Grand Lodge from 1900 to 1904, after which he became Lord Newlands of Mauldslie and formed The Lord Newlands’ Trust in the province.
In 1910, the industrious brethren began to pull their resources together and built their own lodge, where the meetings are still held almost 100 years later. However, it was twenty years before electricity, heating and a toilet were installed in the lodge.
The first mention of World War I was in the minutes of a regular meeting held on 4th April 1914, when there was a letter from the Grand Lodge of Scotland and the Provincial Grand Lodge of Lanarkshire Upperward, asking for donations to The Prince of Wales War Relief Fund. At the same meeting, a letter of resignation was received from Bro. Robert Dunipace SW as he had signed up for foreign service. Unfortunately, the minutes of the regular meeting held on 2nd October 1914 state the first brother of the lodge to be lost in action.
Another sad loss to the lodge occured in 1940 when the RWM Bro. John Brown died during his term of office. His regalia was presented to the lodge and it still hangs proudly in the hall to this day.
The Sixties seen the closure of the pits and the demise of the railway, which resulted in a decline in lodge attendances. However, the lodge continued in fine spirit with the good work of the brethren.
Still thriving, recent times have celebrated proud moments in the history of the lodge. Such as Bro. Archie Galbraith PM being installed as PGM and Bro. Willie Martin PM as PGS. In 2004 Bro. Willie was given the rank of Hon. Assistant Grand Secretary. The lodge members have continued the fine work started by their predecessors such as the installation of a new bar, later named the George T.Paterson bar in memory of another fine lodge member.
The new millenium was introduced and the following year the lodge celebrated it’s centenary. The RWM Bro. John Young was joined by PGM Jim MacLean and a deputation from the Grand Lodge of Scotland, headed by the Grand Master Mason Sir Archibald Donald Orr Ewing, to celebrate the occassion.
With over 100 years of proud history, ups and downs, the lodge can look forward to the next century.